From Allen Morris'
The site of Tallahassee was chosen in 1823 as the seat of government of the recently
formed Territory of Florida. In that year, John Lee Williams, of Pensacola, and
Dr. W. H. Simmons, of St. Augustine, were named commissioners to select a permanent
seat of government at some point between the Ochlockonee and Suwannee Rivers. They
met late in October on the Ochlockonee River, near St. Marks. Dr. Simmons, who had
made the trip from St. Augustine overland, had already noted that the high lands
south of Lake Miccosukee "would form an eligible situation for a town," a view in
which Williams readily concurred. "A more beautiful country can scarcely be imagined,"
wrote the latter; "it is high, rolling, and well watered."
Florida History Page
The city of Tallahassee is sometimes referred to as the "City of Seven Hills." Tallahasee,
like most of Florida, is rather flat, not hilly. An 1885 map of Tallahassee may
provide a clue as to how this moniker came to be applied. This map illustrates downtown
Tallahassee as being on a single hill. There were seven major arteries leading into
Tallahassee and so to approach the city every from any direction, one would have
to travel up a hill. Thus, the "City of Seven Hills."